A candidate for the Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in International Development (ID) degree must complete the following items to be eligible to graduate:
- A minimum of 2 semesters of coursework, in residence, for a total of 30 credit hours. One unit may be earned by successfully completing a minimum of 12 credit hours in a single semester.
- Out of the 30 credits, 18 must be for a letter grade and 24 must be in graduate courses or seminars 4000 and higher. 12 of the 24 hours must encompass a concentration (international nutrition, international planning, international population, science and technology policy, or development policy in some designated area) and the other 12 hours must fall into the following areas of analysis: development administration and planning, development economics, development politics, development sociology, or international communications. Students with sufficient prior training in some of these areas of analysis take courses in other areas to round out their analytical and action skills.
- A petition to the MPS committee for exceptions to credit hour requirements may be submitted to the Director of Graduate Studies. Language courses and writing courses do not count toward the credits required for the degree.
- A maximum of 6 credit hours earned outside the program at Cornell University or elsewhere may be counted toward requirements at the discretion of the Special Committee. These credits must be appropriate to the subject of the chosen field of study and completed not more than 5 years prior to admission.
- Submit an approved problem-solving project paper. The aim of the project is to give students supervised experience in dealing intellectually and analytically with a professional problem related to a substantive area of international development. The project can be based either on library or fieldwork. The subject must be approved in advance by the student’s Special Graduate Committee. Students are eligible to receive a maximum of 6 credit hours for acceptable projects that can be used towards the required 30 credit hours if necessary.
- Hold a minimum grade point average of 2.5
- Complete the degree within 4 years of admission
Ready to Graduate?
If you have completed the degree requirements above and are ready to graduate, please refer to the CALS website: